[Dailydrool] Roundup weed killer

Anne Savidge AnneSavidge at dcccd.edu
Mon Apr 14 06:05:09 PDT 2008

I would not use Roundup on anything that pets or people come into contact with. Granted, I am an organic-only gardener who eschews all synthetics on my plants and lawn, but Roundup is very toxic. That's why it kills things so effectively.

If you have an organic nursery in town, or at least a regular nursery that stocks organic products, try horticultural-strength vinegar. You spray it on the offending weeds. The worst it would do to your bassets is sting their tongues if they tried to eat the plant---and probably make their eyes water with the astringent quality of it---but they aren't likely to taste it because the smell of the vinegar will probably repel them.

If you can't find the horticultural-strength vinegar, you can try pouring regular household vinegar on the roots of the weeds. Most plants don't like a highly acidic soil.

Auntie Anne