[Dailydrool] How does your Basset react to heat?

Dan Hickey dhickey at m-audio.com
Wed Apr 16 10:12:43 PDT 2008

Last Friday Diamond and I were at the Orange County Pet Expo doing an
Obedience demonstration. We worked from 10 am to noon on and off (a full
Novice routine plus some drilling). It was a clear, sunny and warm day
reaching the low 90's. Diamond's performance was ... well ... OFF. He
did not respond to commands well. He lagged terribly. His sits were even
slower than usual (if that's possible).  Outside of the ring he behaved
normally, not overly thirsty or panting to cool down. He did not seem
interested in being misted. One warm match day last fall he left the
ring and sat under the stewards table leaving the judge and me standing
in the hot ring wondering why the dog was smarter than we were.

So my question to you is: "At what temperature does your Basset stop
normal behavior and do you have any secrets for bringing them back, at
least for short periods?"

My only other option is to say well, it's too hot, we're outta here.

Thanks

Dan Hickey