[Dailydrool] Neutering

Deb Good dlgood66 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 18 11:12:27 PDT 2008

Well, having never been owned by a male dog before I'm learning quite a bit lately!  Sean is an intact male (show dog), 10 months.  He's a pushover for the most part.  Last weekend he was at a show and shared a hotel room with a female in season (the two were kept separated by being in their crates when the other was out and about).  This particular female is one that Sean got along with really well before she went into season.  He came back from the show and is now trying to hump his toy duck.  Is this something that he will continue to do forever, or will he eventually forget how good the female smelled and stop humping his duck?  Should I discourage him from doing this, and if so, how?  I was just releived that he wasn't trying to do it to us, so I haven't stopped him.  (What's weird is that he does it at the same time every night!).  He doesn't mark in the house.  Actually, Pippi who was spayed before she went into her first season, "marks" while we're out on walks!
 And Bev, thanks for letting us "new to intact males" slaves know that Basset boys are "hung like ponies".  I was amazed at how, uhmmm, "well endowed" Sean was for a puppy, but I guess he's just normal!

  Deb-learning lots on the Drool
  Pippi-"that little whipper-snapper tried to get me once-then he saw my pearly whites!"
  And Sean-"where's my duck?"