[Dailydrool] URGENT: Transport Help Needed TUESDAY - Portland OR going South

Sylvie McGee sylviemcgee at comcast.net
Mon Apr 21 11:54:38 PDT 2008

Hi, Folks,

Cascadia Basset Rescue and Oregon Basset Hound Rescue are collaborating on a
transport to get a sweet 4 year old neutered male Basset south towards his
grandma. Please read on, and if you can help, we would ALL be really, really
grateful.... Here's the story:

A young soldier was killed in Iraq last fall. His mom in California kept his
Basset for about four months, but returned the dog to her daughter-in-law
when her DIL said she wanted the family dog back.

DIL left for Michigan with her children 10 days ago and *left the dog* in
the Ft. Lewis home she had vacated. She told neighbors that she had made
arrangements to have him picked up and flown to Michigan. Then later, she
told them she had made arrangements to have rescue pick the dog up. She did
not. She told her MIL and kids that the dog had already been placed in
rescue.

The mom in California contacted us over the weekend, looking for Buford. We
had never heard of him, but have tried tracking him down through shelters
and other contacts - no luck. Late last night the neighbor, who has been
feeding him the last 10 days and letting him out of the empty house for
potty breaks, emailed us and asked if we could help with placement. DIL
apparently just plain abandoned him. She told the neighbors last night to
"just take him to the shelter" - this despite the fact that her
mother-in-law has been calling and emailing asking where Buford was and
offering to come and get him.

The neighbors said that DIL burned a lot of bridges leaving, and this was
the last straw.

I'm picking Buford up this afternoon, and the soldier's mom is headed up
from California tomorrow morning (Tuesday, 4/22). Oregon Basset Rescue will
meet me and get him to Portland - but we'd love to get him further south on
I-5 and save his grandmom some time on what's estimated right now as a 12
hour drive each way. Salem would be great, Eugene even better....

I am on a grant deadline this week and can't transport him further myself.

IF you, or someone you know who is trust-worthy, can transport Buford down
to meet his grandmom somewhere along I-5 going south, we can supply a crate
and a soon-to-be-very-happy Basset boy.

Thanks for any help possible...

Sylvie McGee
Cascadia Basset Rescue