[Dailydrool] introducting bassets to cats

Nadine Mysker nadine at mysker.com
Thu Apr 24 18:45:52 PDT 2008

We were unaware if our bagel Jill had been exposed to cats when she became
our foster pup.  Once we failed at fostering and adopted Jill we brought her
to a new vet for a complete physical.  Jill laid down on the floor at my
feet begging for a belly rub.  Before I could reach down to oblige one of
the two office cats walked over her belly on his way to his food dish.  Jill
didn't even flinch.  The other vet cat, a rescue with neurological damage
affecting one leg/foot swatted at Jill's nose (and missed, we think on
purpose) as Jill looked into its climbing tower.  Jill never missed a beat;
she playfully swatted back missing the cat, too.  And believe me, Jill truly
does have a playful swat; her serious swat hurts!  I'd say her first
exposure to cats was a good one.  After her last surgery both of the cats
curled up with her in a corner.  We have a few cats that roam our
neighborhood.  Jill ignores them unless they lay around the yard.  Then she
joins them for a bask in the sun. The mallard couple that have taken
residency in our yard and swim in our ditch are another story.  Jill howls,
barks and growls at them from a distance; we've never let her near them
because they are protecting their nest.  Once the ducklings hatch we'll try
some very well supervised (ie leased) exposure to those we refer to as da
ducks in da ditch.

(Dose dam ducks wook deliciousioso--I cant unerstamb why me Mom wont wet me
pway wif em and maybe take a nibble or two!)

Nadine Mysker, slave to Jill the Bagel