[Dailydrool] Microchips

Dan Hickey dhickey at m-audio.com
Fri Apr 25 20:43:01 PDT 2008

The situation with microchips is actually much more problematic than
most people think and certainly more than it has to be. RFID implants,
used for dogs, fall into 4 basic categories. Differences include code
word length (8, 9 or 15 digits) excitation frequency (125 kHz or 134.2
kHz) and encryption (or lack thereof).

My Diamond born here has a 125 kHz, 9 digit AVID encrypted chip which is
registered with Avid's database to me.

My Ruby, born in Slovenia, has a 134.2 kHz 15 digit unencrypted ISO
standard chip which is totally unreadable by any scanner available in
the US.  She is registered with the Slovenian Kennel Club and has a
European Passport registered to my breeder.

An additional problem is the fact that two chips implanted in close
proximity may interfere with each other resulting in false "no chip"
readings so just dropping in a "local" chip may be worse than doing
nothing.

While Avid is most readily marketed in the US as a company they are
doing the most to discourage competition (and interoperability) by
encrypting their codes and legal infringement lawsuit actions. I need a
new chip in Ruby, but I'm not sure what to do. I'm leaning toward the
AKC CARS (Trovan) chips right now implanted behind the right shoulder to
make sure the chips are separated.

You can get more details here,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microchip_implant_(animal)

Dan Hickey