[Dailydrool] Noses/Hormones/Brudder Elwood

Sandi Wittenberg sandi at redbaybassets.com
Sat Apr 26 08:47:13 PDT 2008

My open red/white guys get what I call "winter nose".  Their normally black
nose turns kind of a reddish brown during the winter.  Once the weather
changes and the sun returns, the black nose returns.  When our guys get "dry
nose", I use a LITTLE bit of bag balm on the nose.  Another good thing for
the nose is cocoa butter.  One of my dogs LOVES to have Burts Bees Lemon
cuticle wax put on his sore nose.  I always keep a little tube of Vasoline
lip balm in my "ring bag" for scratched noses too.

HORMONES - OMG!  Living with 5 intact males makes me the Hormone Guru!
These boys will drive you nuts!  Things that smell like a bitch in season:

Wet cats . within a 10 mile radius

An animal of any species with a UTI . especially a dog

A person with cellulitis (usually me)

All male puppies under the age of 6 months

A teenage girl who is having her period

A dog who is sick . but you don't know it yet.

Never forget that the basset nose can tell you lots of things if you know
how to listen.  One of my boys, Grady, can sniff out cellulitis on me before
I even get an itch or a tingle.  All of my boys can sniff out a UTI before
there are any clinical signs.  Hoagie lets me know that there is a bitch in
season within 5 miles (literally) by not eating.  In fact, Pat came out for
dinner on Thursday and her girls are within a week or so of coming into
season.  Since it was nice outside, I cooked out on the fireplace and Pat
sat on the stone bench to keep me company. Hoagie never came in contact with
her.  When Pat left, Hoagie "worked" the bench, the grass and every
footprint of Pat's for two hours . and he has only eaten one meal since
then.  When we come home from Pat's house, we have to change clothes or we
will get sniffed to death.  If there is a bitch in season, then we have to
shower or go to the "power wash" J on the way home!

Now, Brudder Elwood!  Get well soon!   Is he a stick eater?  One of my boys
(Johnny) has had two emergency trips to the vet because of eating sticks or
mulch (we had to remove all of our mulch from the dog yard, so now he rips
bark off the trees!).  He had impacted bowels and was vomiting some blood
also.  Fortunately, we avoided surgery both times but he had over-night
stays with multiple enemas and sedation!  That is one time I chose not to
camp out and stay with him at the vet's.

Drool to all who need it!

Sandi Wittenberg

Red Bay Bassets