[Dailydrool] Heartworm Information

Pam Farris savethebassets at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 26 15:35:41 PDT 2008

Thanks Ashley for asking such an intelligent question.  As a rescue that pulls a large number of heartworm positive bassets, I find myself trying to educate people about heartworm prevention and heartworm treatments.

  You are correct that by just putting a dog on regular monthly heartworm prevention (active ingredient - Ivermectin), you are not killing the mature adult heartworms which are the ones in the heart doing the damage.  What you are doing is killing the microfilia which are circulating in the blood, which if left living, will then eventually migrate to the heart and grow to be adults.  The lifespan of an adult heartworm is 2 years so for 2 years there is continued damage to the heart.  The degree of damage can only be determined by radio graphs or ultrasound of the heart.  I have heard this method called "The Slow Kill Method" and I have also heard some people refer to this as the "New and Improved Heartworm Treatment - More Gentle and Safe for the Basset" - Bunk I say....I actually had to defend our rescue against people that had been given the above misinformation as if our rescue was behind the times and causing unnecessary pain and suffering for our rescue bassets.

  Heartworm treatments are expensive.  Even with the deep discounts that our veterinary partners give us, they are expensive.  I almost had to give CPR to our treasurer the week we did 4 heartworm treatments.  But the truth is - the only way to stop the damage that the adult heartworms are doing to the dog is to use immiticide which is the only drug that kills the adult heartworm.  This is a tough treatment for a dog to have to go through but the alternative leaves the adult heartworms living and growing and doing damage for 2 years.  It is the right treatment for most situations.

  Are there situations where "The Slow Kill Method" is appropriate?  Yes - if a dog is so old and infirm that they wouldn't likely survive the treatment or if they are under a year old.

  The other situation is if there is no way to afford the real heartworm treatment - "The Slow Kill Method" is better than nothing but don't believe for a moment that you are doing your basset a favor by using that method.  If you find yourself with a heartworm postive dog and can't afford treatment, call the local rescues and see who they use -  many times they know the vets that will give you a MUCH better price.

  All of it could be prevented by just keeping the basset on regular heartworm preventative - even that can be pricey so if you find that you can't afford the medications - call your local rescues and see what they suggest.

  An excellent source of up to date information is the Heartworm Society www.heartwormsociety.org

  Hope this guy gets the help he needs.

Pam Farris
  Basset Rescue of Florida, Inc.
  www.BassetRescueFlorida.com

  Saving Florida Basset Hounds From Coast To Coast
  Join our E-News Mailing List http://www.bassetrescueflorida.com/basset-rescue-newsletter.htm