[Dailydrool] Very special special-needs dog in need of home!

Sylvie McGee sylviemcgee at comcast.net
Sun Apr 27 07:41:39 PDT 2008

I don't usually cast a wide net looking for an adoptive family - but in this
case, Eeyore is such a sweet and special dog that I'm going to do that.
Here's his story:

First off, Eeyore is a great guy! He's about 9 or 10 years old - not sure
which, as the family who has him adopted him at age about 4-5, so nothing is
exact...

The family has fallen on hard times - really hard times in which they are
losing their home. They have, as a result, been unable to keep up with vet
care for Eeyore. I'm not sure that it would have made a difference, since
Glaucoma is often rapidly progressive, but in his case, the vet they saw for
his eyes mis-diagnosed the glaucoma as a retinal infection, and Eeyore lost
his vision.

He is scheduled for eye treatment next week. He's having a procedure in
which a chemical is injected in the eye that stops the over-abundant fluid
build up. This resolves the elevated pressure in the eyes, and as a result,
the headaches that go along with that. Post-surgical care should be minimal.
He will still have his eyes, although they may shrink just a bit. As a
result, he may need to have his eyes flushed with saline solution once a day
to avoid irritation, but this is just like putting in eye drops, inexpensive
and easy. The veterinary opthamologist says this is the surgery of choice,
and that after the treatment, Eeyore will, of course, be blind, but
otherwise not have any need for ongoing care.

Otherwise, Eeyore is very healthy, and I'll let his owner's words describe
him ...

 "Eeyore is a very well behaved boy. We don't have the issues that many
people do with Bassets. He will wander if not watched closely and if a
cookie is left laying about, you can bet he will find it. He is house
trained and will come to you to let you know he needs out. If you ask him if
he has to go potty, he will respond with a bark and a nudge. He never barks
without a reason and if you're unsure of that reason, you can ask him to
show you and he will guide you. He may try to beg for your food but we have
him on a "carpet" rule : we eat at the table in the dinning room which is
hardwood and he knows that he must stay on the carpet (which is in the
living room) while we eat.

He has lived in our family with five children ranging from newborn to 17. He
has been around other dogs that were strangers to us as well as my mother's
dogs and we have never had a problem with aggression. He has also been
around farm animals and cats without problems. There are no food aggression
issues with Eeyore with the exception of our other dog trying to eat his
food. Eeyore is the dominant of the two and as such, he will only give his
food up to others, once he is full and no longer interested. Normally, this
is only an issue when Eeyore "thinks" we might give a special treat to
Oscar, before him.

Eeyore does not get on the furniture or beds without permission  (during the
day) but night is another story. If he can sneak up on the couch after
everyone has gone to bed, he will. After all, it is more comfortable than
his bed. While he does not love baths, he does do fine while getting one. We
used to take him to the groomers out of convenience but have since been
giving baths and nail trims here at home. Everyone must be prepared for his
"puppy" behavior as soon as he leaves the bathroom though. He will take off
running through the house, jumping, shaking, and trying to get everyone to
play with him.

For the most part, he is an indoor dog. He likes to go out for walks or to
the park to play but loves to be indoors, either laying next to my feet or
following me around where ever I go. He will happily go for a ride in the
car and does not need coaxing to go to, or get in, the car. He does prefer
to ride "shotgun" with a clear view.

Eeyore does not have issues with being left alone but if food is left out,
he will find a way to get to it. He is very smart and on more than one
occasion, we have come home to find that he pushed out the dinning room
chair and used it to get onto the table. We probably would have never
thought about it except that he decides to take a nap on the table
afterwards and that's where we find him."

Back to Sylvie....

Eeyore won't be ready to go to a new home until after his eye treatment, but
that comes up next week. We have had one potential adopter for Eeyore, but
they have another older special needs dog and have decided they did not want
to adopt another at this time.

So I'm looking for a great home for Eeyore, who is a sweet, senior gentleman
who is adjusting very well to his blindness, and who needs a permanent home.
He'll keep you smiling, for just a little care and loving...

If you might consider bringing Eeyore into your home to love and care for,
please contact me.

Thanks,

Sylvie McGee
Cascadia Basset Rescue