[Dailydrool] Wart loking thingie

Karen Markisenis kmarkisenis at hvc.rr.com
Mon Apr 28 10:09:10 PDT 2008

Jessica, my pup Cadbury had what we (me & the vet) thought was a wart in
between two digits on his left front paw.   Although not something a young
dog (8 months) typically gets, that's what it appeared to be.  Because of
where it was, we were going to "watch & wait".  Well the waiting lasted
about a week; it didn't go away, it didn't even get smaller; but Cadbury
wouldn't leave it alone.  It started getting nasty looking and it began to
bleed.  Back to the vet, where we decided to remove the growth and send it
out for a biopsy.  As it turns out, it was NOT a wart, but a benign tumor; a
histiocytoma.  Again, not so common in younger dogs and if a younger animal
does get one, it is typically in the mouth or on the face.  If it had been
located on a different part of his body, we could have easily biopsied the
mass and removed it if it was cancerous.  In the case of histiocytomas, they
are often left alone as they usually disappear on their own.  But because of
where it was on Cadbury, we did not have that option.  It was the
histiocytoma surgery that prevented Cadbury from attending his first
BoardWaddle with his littermates and extended basset family.  Emma (one of
Sunny's pups) and I waddled without him.

Karen, Emma and Cadbury in Lake Katrine, NY