[Dailydrool] Bassets that eat rocks - need DD help.

Vanis, Nancy Nancy.Vanis at McKesson.com
Tue Apr 29 07:46:33 PDT 2008

I am getting a foster today that just had surgery for the second time
because he ate a rock.  I have never had a dog do that before, and I am
hoping some fellow droolers can help with some questions I have.   I
don't know when the first time was he ate a rock, but the last time was
about a week ago.  Obviously I am concerned about it happening again.

For those droolers who have had a Basset who ate rocks, what measures
did you take to keep them from doing it again?  Do you have the dog wear
a muzzle when it is outside?  I have a dog door for my other guys and I
am concerned about this guy going out when I am not looking.   I can
keep him in a room with a baby gate, but that will cause my others guys
to go bonkers.  But I am also concerned about keeping him muzzled almost
all of the time when he isn't eating.

Did anyone get any explanations as to why a dog might do this?  Boredom?
Anxiety?  Or do some Bassets just thing rocks are a tasty treat?  Do
they ever 'grow out of it' or is it something that will be a potential
issue from now on?

I know this issue has come up before, but I haven't been able to access
the old archives since we went to the new DD server.  Please feel free
to send any responses off-line to me at this email address.

Thank you!