[Dailydrool] Rock eating dog

Marilyn Bickell mbickellhounds at comcast.net
Tue Apr 29 10:13:17 PDT 2008

>>> From: Noah Goslowah <handsomehounds at yahoo.com>

... I know people have written about their dogs swallowing rocks and other
stuff.  Does anyone have any success stories about dogs growing out of this
behavior,..<<<

Janice,
Rosey and Beaver were both rock eaters. Bess was a dirt/sand eater. From
information I found in one of Monica Segal's books regarding "eating dirt,"
I tried her suggestion/s to stop both behaviors.

The first suggestion was to give a Probiotic (Acidophilus). I did that and
within a week, both Rosey and Beaver stopped eating rocks and Bess stopped
eating dirt, so I didn't need to go to the next step.
BUT I have to be diligent about giving the acidophilus or I've noticed they
will start eating rocks/dirt again.

I know of another gal who used Monica's recommendations, but she had to go
through step 2, then on to step 3 before she saw results (there are 4 *easy*
steps). I've never asked Monica how/why her recommendations work, so I
honestly don't know. But I can ask her, if you'd like :o) I'm just glad it
worked for us.

If the hound you're going to get has been eating rocks for a long time, it
might be difficult to get him to stop, especially if it's become a habit.
Yes, I would definitely supervise him, but if he can't be supervised, for
whatever reason/s, I wouldn't let him outdoors.

Marilyn, Miko (Chasing lizards in Heaven), Bess, RoseyMae, and Beaver
Cleaver,
Fort Bragg, CA

"You have gone ahead and nothing is the same, leaving paw prints on my heart
that will always remain."- Tibetan Proverb from Prayers on the Wind.