[Dailydrool] Sebaceous Cyst

Beverly Szaton bgszap at gmail.com
Wed Apr 30 04:57:18 PDT 2008

Mitchell had an acorn-sized cyst on the side of his neck. One day three of
the Bassets and Cooper got into a fierce melee in the backyard and
apparently Cooper nipped into the cyst and opened it.
I drained it as best I could (yuk) and took him in to have it cleaned out.
He was on anti-biotics for a few days but it healed. It is still there but
much,much smaller. Kind of a drastic, hit-or-miss method of getting rid of
them, but maybe I could train Cooper---JUST JOKING.
Bassets, and hounds in general, have a higher amount of oil in their  skin
than most other breeds. It accounts not only for their hard coats and
sebaceous cysts, but for the characteristic "houndy smell". It probably
served to keep them dryer when hunting in bad weather.

MomPerson to Nigel,Llewis,Mitchell,Zelda and Cooper