[Dailydrool] Pills

jules56pt at charter.net jules56pt at charter.net
Mon Aug 11 17:35:39 PDT 2008

I know this has been discussed before but I need help getting a boatload of pills into one very crabby basset.  Sunny is the lucky one who gets all the vitamins and meds.  She has become an expert at detecting foreign objects in balls of anything.  I have tried cream cheese, peanut butter, liverwurst, hamburger and she dissects them all.  I have tried crushing the pills but then they just make everything taste bad.  She likes hamburger the best but can smell a pill a mile away.

The vet tried giving her a pill pocket for a treat and she turned her nose up at it.  I have also tried sticking them in food in her bowl but she rarely eats all of anything and somethimes others help with bowl cleaning.  I don't know what else to do.  Is there anything else I can try?

Our first two bassets were so easy in many ways.  They would let anyone stick hands in their mouths so we put pills in and massaged their throats until they swallowed.  They never fussed about much of anything.

Of course, Sunny let the vet clean her ears somewhat and clip her nails without a muzzle.  The vet, bless her, got down on the floor with her so she would be less traumatized that on the table.  She gave us suggetsions for supplements and added a pain pill to the Rimadyl.  It is just very difficult to get it all into her each day.

We send drool to all those in need.  Marley and Sunny want to send crabby drool but I won't let them.

Sunny, Ninja, Marley and Mom