[Dailydrool] Fonda

Monlr at aol.com Monlr at aol.com
Thu Aug 14 19:59:43 PDT 2008

On Monday morning Fonda went to the rainbow bridge.  We do not know Fonda's
age, she was a rescue, a sweet older girl, probably a basset and cocker mix.
Fonda had a basset body, the fur of a cocker ( tons and tons of soft hair), and
the sweet expression of the cocker spaniel.  She died the same day as our
Emma (08/11/06), and Emma is the reason she was with us.  To honor Emma's memory,
we decided to foster 2 older hounds and Alexa sent us Fonda and Buster.  We
already had four dogs of our own, so Fonda and Buster made six.  At this time
we still hoped that someone would come forward and adopt these 2 wonderful
older guys, but noone ever expressed any interest, so Fonda and Buster became
ours.  I can only say it was a privilege to be able to give Fonda a home for the
past 2 years.  She had the best of food and medicine we could give her, a huge
yard, her own personal recliner, doggie brothers and sisters, and as much love
as we could give.  Of course, with 6 needy dogs (all rescues), there never
seems to be enough attention for each one to go around.  During the past few
months, Fonda deteriorated.  She had serious eye problems requiring 3 different
medications twice daily, constant skin rashes, hearing loss, a heart murmur and
most serious of all, doggie dementia.  Fonda no longer knew where she was and
 would pace for hours crying.  While we could ameliate some of these
conditions, we could not cure them, Fonda was just old and her body and mind were
giving out.  So we made the decision, always so hard, to send her to the bridge.
Her suffering is over, but our grief has just started.  To honor Fonda, we ask
that anyone reading this post who has the room and time, would consider
adopting or fostering one of these older hounds who otherwise will not have a home
- you will get back much more than you will be giving.
We love you Fonda, Loretta and Ken

Read reviews on AOL Autos.