[Dailydrool] (no subject)

dpmcquade at juno.com dpmcquade at juno.com
Fri Aug 1 14:11:39 PDT 2008

<<I do not quite understand why people buy dogs with a beautiful lush coat and then just shave them down. I know they think it keeps them cooler, but I personally would not do it.)(Of course, I love to brush, so....)>>

When I was a child, we had a very long-haired dog. Think totally untrimmed Bouvier des Flandres or English Sheepdog that had never had a set of clippers near her. That's what she looked like when she was in full coat. She hated being groomed, and it was always a fight. I think my mom pretty much gave up on her, because she was often somewhat matted. But this was in the days before there was a groomer around every corner. Though my family loved dogs, we didn't know much about that kind of thing. But every summer, she'd get clipped down to a trim and manageable coat.

I feel for folks with long-haired dogs. Either they spend a lot of time at the groomer's and pay to have it done, or they have to get a puppy used to grooming when it's very young and keep up with it. Since our Licorice was a rescue (a family member found her and gave her to our next-door neighbors, who didn't want her), we inherited her with that distaste for grooming.

When Drew and I went to get a dog, I wanted something with short hair, so I would not have to add grooming to my overwhelmed schedule. My dad was very ill, and I didn't have time to groom much.

So what did I get? A basset. I don't do much grooming, but the underfluffies constantly fly!
Pam, with Drew, food slave to the Dashing Bassets