[Dailydrool] fear aggression with show judges

eyleenepaul eyleenepaul at bigpond.com.au
Tue Aug 5 14:03:25 PDT 2008

Hi there droolers all
This question is mainly for those with show dogs but i am happy for any ideas / hints from anyone ? sorry its going to be long .
My Tang ( mongrel bitchface ) was suspended from showing for 6 mths for snapping / biting the judge twice . this was not a one off as she had been building up for a while with grumbling .

History - I got her at 3mths old and we started showing about then approx once every fortnight with no probs until she was about 18 mths old . I then got a fortnightly weekend job and proceeded to forget to get my entries in on time so we prob had a period around 6 mths of not really going anywhere , and then when we did the grumbling started , not everytime though , with a couple of minor snaps .

She likes going in the car and being there ,wants to play or sniff with all the other dogs , isnt bothered by all the people standing around and trotting around the ring , its ONLY once she is stacked and the judge approaches . Sometimes the rumble would start straight away or she would quite happily ? let them examine her teeth , ears head but as they moved to the side and start running their hands along her sides back and butt , she would rumble then .

So far as i can tell she doesn't have any sore spots as she gets handled rubbed scratched cuddled by her family constantly and doesn't show any probs there .

I am doing " handler " training with her which is great , no rumbling at all , but then last week afterwards one lady spoke to her when we were finished and she rumbled , so we are obviously not addressing the real problem of the " judge ." standing over her .

happy for offline emails or dailydrool

cheers all

Eyleene