[Dailydrool] Crates, Or Get That Bird Out Of My Crate!

Lilie Basset Liliebasset at comcast.net
Tue Aug 5 17:48:22 PDT 2008

Our first basset, Mercy, had a crate just as Lilie and Daffodil do now.  At
the time we also had a Parrot who would occasionally glide to the ground and
toodle along exploring.  Mercy never minded Phineas (well, except for the
time Phinny landed on her head and wanted to stay) but the day Phinny
decided to explore her crate she went crazy.

Phineas was very impressed with the size and position of the crate - more to
see on the ground versus up on a table.  It actually took at least 30
minutes to convince him to leave and Mercy barked the entire time.

Lilie and Daffodil like to go into the crate to sleep, or to do some private
bone chewing.  The door is never closed and they are not expected to sleep
there.  If they became overly fond of sleeping there, we'd get another so
that each would have one.  So far they share very nicely.

Our new dogs are always kept in the large kitchen until they are old enough
and considered safe enough to be free in the apartment.  We close off the
rooms that they are not allowed to go into, and the rest are full of pillows
and blankets on the floors.  Since we don't use our living room, the two
loveseats and the two recliners are theirs, too.  Somehow Lilie and Daffodil
manage to put up with the situation...although they do wish that cookie time
came around more often.

Crates are great!  The dogs love them and consider them a home within a
home.

Katie, Lilie and Daffodil