[Dailydrool] Chloe, Susan and Lovey Lu

Georgia Powers georgiapowers at comcast.net
Thu Aug 7 14:46:48 PDT 2008

First off, tons of relieved drool that Susan is feeling better. Also,
much sympathetic drool for Lovey's family at this most difficult time.
Also, I must add my agreement with Momperson and others who have said
that perhaps the best thing for Chloe's mom to do it return her
earlier, rather than later. I considered myself a total dog nut when
we got Eugene . I had loved and lived with a poodle for almost 14
years,  and  yet I was still shocked at his 6- month- old crazy basset
self. I really feel they are quite different  ( read more challenging)
from most dogs. I remember posting to the Drool that I thought that he
was actually a cross between a donkey and a dog! While I did
eventually fall under his basset charm, I think that for an
inexperienced, first time owner, bassets can be quite a challenge. And
any dog will require that you plan your days and nights around their
needs. We always think in terms of how long Eugene will be alone and
actually sometimes go places in two cars so one of us can come home to
him. Of course, we also have two daughters ages 10 and 12, so our idea
of "freedom" is pretty limited!  I also love cats, but a basset puppy
is a far cry from even the most energetic kitten. So, if you really
don't feel that you will enjoy the ride that is dog ownership--much
less the supercharged rollercoaster that is Basset-ownership, I
agree:  Give her back now and let her find her forever home sooner
rather than later. It will be an act of love for her and I agree with
momperson that there is no blame or feeling of failure involved.
Georgia and Eugene