[Dailydrool] Kennel Cough Help

rebecca lando rebecca.lando at gmail.com
Sat Aug 9 09:24:34 PDT 2008

Hi All,
We spent the last week in Colorado on vacation with my parents, thinking
Humphrey was happy and healthy in his Doggie Daycare. Yesterday on our way
to the airport, we found out that he'd actually been sent home after only
one night with a bad case of kennel cough. Luckily, the boyfriendslave's
parents were able to pick Humphrey up and take care of him. The daycare's
vet put him on Cephalexin - 3 doses a day for 7 days, but they're not sure
if the cough is viral or bacterial. He's up to date on all his shots and
immunizations.

Does anyone have any advice on how to ease Humphrey's pain? All he wants to
do is sleep, which is totally understandable, but the exact opposite of his
normal playful, energetic demeanor. He's still coughing a little, which we
were told is to be expected, but when he coughs it definitely seems like
he's holding back a little, like the coughing hurts. His body and ears are
very warm. Is there anything we can do or give Humphrey to make him feel
better, or at least help him fall asleep? I'm sure it sounds crazy, but can
I give him warm decaf tea with honey? The boyfriendslave and I feel awful
being unable to ease our little guy's discomfort.

We can't send drool as it might pass along Hum's germs, but we do send belly
rubs and well wishes to any creatures in need right now. We're still
catching up on a backlog of Drools from our vacation, and have our fingers
crossed that none of them contain bad news - hope everyone's having a
healthy, happy, and not-too-hot August.

Thanks for any advice you may have for us and our tail-thumping little
trooper.

-Rebecca, Kit & Humphrey

Humphrey's Dogster Page <http://www.dogster.com/dogs/740464>
Humphrey's Vimeo Videos <http://vimeo.com/user651125/videos>