[Dailydrool] has this happened to you?

Brenda Pugliese brendatyler2003 at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 9 16:03:18 PDT 2008

Just wondering if something like this has happened to you and your hounds.  My dogs went out early this morning and had no want to go back inside, they were lounging in the sun and snoozing. I was inside putting the baby down for a nap and my doorbell rings.  I always think the worst when the bell rings and I'm not expecting anyone.  One of the neighborhood kids is there and he tells me your gate was open and one of your dogs is out.  I immediately ask him how the gate got opened....he had no response.  I am nutty (obessive/compulsive)about checking the gate.  I won't go to bed at night until I can assure myself it's closed and I won't lose any dogs in the morning.  When I went out to the yard to do a headcount, the dog I'm expecting to have taken off is right there wagging his tail to say "hi mom".  I find Hunny, she's fine.  I then start looking for Ru.  He is gone, but how the heck did he get out without Tyler seeing the gate open???   I
 run upstairs, grab Emily and put her in the stroller, bring the two remaining dogs in the house and hit the streets looking for Rufus.   Thankfully Ru isn't a nose driven basset, he just looks for people or trash cans and stops his wandering.  He hadn't gone far, thankfully.   But how do you deal with this?  I know this kid opened my gate and let him out, but can't prove anything.  My husband is stopping for a padlock on his way home from work.  I just hate the fact that someone let one of my dogs out of the yard.

How have other droolers dealt with a situation like this??

Brenda  Mom to Tyler, Rufus and Hunny