[Dailydrool] Not Shedding

Sandi Wittenberg sandi at redbaybassets.com
Thu Aug 14 13:22:31 PDT 2008

Daisy is not shedding because puppies typically do not shed much until their
adult coat starts to grow in.  That usually occurs at about 9 - 12 months
old.  Even then, the shedding of the puppy fur is not like seasonal
shedding.  Daisy's first "real" shed probably won't be until late spring.

You can expect Daisy's coat to thicken some as the cooler weather
approaches.  Basset's fur is typically pretty "tight" and provides good
insulation for them.  Mine enjoy the cooler weather and love to play in the
snow.  The most vulnerable part of the basset in cold and snow is the ears.
If my guys are going to be playing in the snow for long (over 15 minutes or
so)  or if it is bitterly cold, I put snoods on them to keep their ears dry
and warm.  Another thing to watch for in the snow is "ice balls" that can
get between the pads of the feet.  These can make a dog "temporarily lame" -
can't count the times I have had to carry a 70 pound dog into the house from
the "back 40" - once the ice melts the problem is resolved.

Glad to hear that Daisy is doing well and settling into a routine and that
you and she are doing well.

Sandi Wittenberg - Red Bay Bassets

sandi at redbaybassets.com