[Dailydrool] Shedding and basset coats

dpmcquade at juno.com dpmcquade at juno.com
Thu Aug 14 14:59:14 PDT 2008

Different bassets shed at different rates.

Our Abner would inundate you with fur. He has a hypothyroid condition, and he sheds endlessly. So did our basset Alexis Thefairyprincess (ATB)--or maybe it was just that she was our third basset, and I really noticed her fur more. But both of them had thick coats, compared to the others.

Lady Jane is a moderate shedder. I usually pull tufts out of the back of her legs, and she will lose a certain amount of fur in general. But you don't feel as if you're drowning in her fur.

Belvedere hardly seems to shed at all. He has a thin coat and gets cold easily in the winter. He's the only one I put a sweater on in the cold weather.

Less shedding means less vacuuming for the slaves. A sweater is an easy solution to the problem--in Colorado, you might want to get a coat instead.

Ours are not in a major shedding mode at the moment, I think shedding depends on local conditions, so if your hounds are not too hot or in a major spring/fall shed, you may not see much fur.

But one thing you can count on, if you have a basset, there will be some shedding. I always say ours only have one shedding season--365 days a year. But some hounds are worse than others. If we only had Belvedere, I'd probably never complain about fur in the house.
Pam, with Drew, food slave to the Dashing Bassets