[Dailydrool] winter with Daisy

Mary Mischelle Kemp mmischellekemp at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 17 13:50:46 PDT 2008

Hi Sue
    I just read your post inquiring about Daisy and the winter. I have two bassets, Pw. Tasselhoff and Fizban, we live in Utah so the climate should be quite similar. My bassets don't really seem to get cold that much. Fizban does occasionally, since his fur isn't as thick as Tasselhoff's, but for the most part that isn't an issue. I have however found that keeping them clean in the winter can be quite a challenge. We walk everyday, regardless of the weather. In the winter and spring they splash dirty snow and water on their bellies, and get very dirty.  For years I tried to find something to help with this without much luck. Finally about a 18 months ago I found a jacket that really makes a difference. It doesn't totally resolve the problem, but it helps a ton. It is a soft shell jacket that covers their whole body instead of just going over the top of them. They are water resistant but I wash Tas and Fiz's coats in Nikwax waterproofing about every 6 months and that has helped quite a bit as well. They are quite pricey but mine have been very durable and they have made life so much easier in the winter, to me they have been well worth the price. LOL we also get lots of comments on our walks about our "wetsuits"!

jacket:
http://www.ruffwear.com/Cloud-Chaser-Canine-Soft-Shell-Jacket-Waterproof-Windproof-Snow-Ready-Dog-Coat-Ruff-Wear?sc=2&category=12

waterproofing:
http://www.nikwax-usa.com/en-us/products/productdetail.php?productid=251&activityid=-1&itemid=-1&fabricid=-1