[Dailydrool] Three Legged Basset

Marilyn Briggs marbriggs at att.net
Wed Aug 20 14:52:01 PDT 2008

We had a three legged boxer mix who was missing a front leg from an accident before we got her. She
was extremely active and you forgot the leg was missing.  I agree that a front basset leg would be more difficult to do without, but I also think it depends on the build on the dog. I have had bassets with such short, heavy legs and broad chests it would not work.  On the other hand, I have seen bassets that UFBH has rescued that actually have pretty long legs and bodies that are much more slender. I think they would do OK without a front leg. I would, however, get a second (or even 3rd) opinion from another vet before I did it.  It seems like pretty drastic surgery for arthritis to me. (It seems like a pretty drastic surgery, period.)
--
Marilyn Briggs