[Dailydrool] dog food

Reed and Becky Pomeroy rebec at execpc.com
Tue Aug 26 14:31:25 PDT 2008

I usually stay out of the food wars, but here I must put in my 2 cents
worth.

You expressed an interest in what other
Droolers feed their dogs because you have been made to feel nervous about
the post related to the change in Canidae's formula.  I have had
bassets for 36 years - usually multiple bassets (15 just now, plus 4
puppies and 2 otterhounds).  I show them extensively and have
finished quite a few champions (40 or 50 or so).  My dogs are
generally disgustingly healthy, have bright eyes and shiney coats.
As a rule, they live good lives of 12 or so years,  We currently have
a 14 year old otterhound which is ancient for an OH.  for the last 15
or 20 years we have fed Purina Dog Chow.  that's right.  Dog
Chow.  Not ONE.  Not Pro Plan.  Dog Chow.  With
nothing added.  Nothing.  (exept some veggie oil if we are
trying to put weight on someone.)  We give puppies and pregnant moms
Purina Puppy Chow.   Before that, we fed Tuffy's, a midwest
food available in grocery stores.  I plan to make no changes.

I have nothing at all against the premium foods.  I'm sure
they are good, and provide adequate nutrition.  But they are
obnoxiously expensive and quite out of the reach of many loving pet-owners
or multiple dog owners.  they are also largely unnecessary.  The
vast majority of dogs will do just fine on any brand name (not generic or
store brand) kibble.  If your dog has a weight problem, feed more, or
less, according to need.  If your dog has a genuine medical need,
such as kidney failure, and needs a prescription diet,  absolutely
provide that special food.  If your dog REALLY has an allergy to a
food ingredient, by all means, switch to a food without that
ingredient.  But remember, only a very small number of dogs are truly
allergic to food, and they can be allergic to buffalo or duck or sweet
potatoe just as they can be allergic to corn.  (One ofmy girls IS
allergic to corn and gets Nutro Lamb and Rice as it is the most reasonably
priced corn free I can find except Purina's cornfree which is salmon based
and she refused to eat fish).

If you can afford it, and want to
feed Royal Canin or Wellness or Canidae, by all means do so.  but
don't make loving and caring slaves feel they must feed it too, or be
guilty of abuse or neglect.

Off the soap box now.

crazy basset lady

MAKE DROOL NOT WAR