[Dailydrool] Benadryl Dosage

Kay, Nancy K *HS NKK3U at hscmail.mcc.virginia.edu
Thu Aug 28 06:32:41 PDT 2008

Judy,

The Benadryl dosage is 1mg per pound, and the "regular" strength Benadryl comes in 25mg pills.  So you could give 2 pills to a 50 pound dog.

Our vet said we could give a bigger dose initially if things were terrible, up to 4 pills.

If he's just itchy and not hysterical, I'd give him 2 regular strength Benadryl pills every 4-6 hours.  I think pills are better than liquid because you know exactly how much he's getting.  Our two would shake their heads after getting the liquid and some portion of it would end up on the walls ;)

Nancy, owned by Sweet Sarah and Frank the sometimes itchy Tank