[Dailydrool] runaway Bassets!

Suzabells at aol.com Suzabells at aol.com
Fri Aug 29 13:42:42 PDT 2008

Dear Daily Drool Folks,
I read the story of the poor lady whose dog ran into the underground garage
and was lost. it absolutely amazes me and blows little holes in my mind when i
 see Daisy totally ignore her name or even turn her head if i am calling her
and  she has escaped from the yard or garage here. it has only happened twice
since i  have had her ( she will be 7 mo old in Sept) but she is so quick to
pounce on my  mistakes! i have a lead in the garage that she is on when i am
out working in  the front. she gets to tell everyone her opinions on the world
and about them  too, she loves it out there.

well, who was to KNOW she could pull her head out of a reasonably  loose (
for her comfort and safety) collar and bolt across the street to visit  the man
who was wobbling in his walker, trying to navigate his  driveway?  she had
never done that before. i looked up when i heard voices,  saw the collar and lead
lying on the concrete and my mind sort of shut down.  WHAT? i saw a car
coming fast, there went Daisy across the street and another  car was backing out of
their driveway so she was between both vehicles. i  screamed her name and i
swear, not so much as a hestitation in her gait. she  went on like i didn't
exist. both cars stopped, the man stood still, his wife  caught her just before
she knocked him flat.i had a terrible time getting her  back, she is too heavy
to lift for me now and i had to walk bent over holding  the folds of skin on
her neck! i was SO MAD!

the first time, she had sneaked past me when i was pushing the mower into
the back gate one day, i just happened to look out the fence as i was mowing,
saw her in the field behind me and was again, astounded. my mind just sort of
stops at the sight i can't believe! i called her, running after her but she
does  not acknowledge her name at all. i have never had a dog that did that, in
all  the breeds i have had. i just can't believe it. she wasn't on some scent
like  she does when we walk, she was just walking around and ignoring me . i
can't  make one mistake with her, she catches everything.. a slipper dropped
from my  hands, a book lying too low or too near the counter edge..it gets
really  maddening at times and i have days when i wonder what the heck i was
thinking  when i bought this dog.  then a day later she can be so good and so sweet,
 you sort of calm down and forget about it all again. till the next time....

Sue/Daisy/Colorado

deal here.