[Dailydrool] Help for protection against dog attacks

Val Brewer vlbzwick at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 2 13:52:19 PST 2008

I remember that awhile back there was a thread about ways droolers protected themselves and their dogs from attacks by other loose dogs. From that discussion I learned the very good trick of carrying an automatic umbrella and swooshing it open to scare off charging, angry other dogs. But this week I realized I probably need a more substantial defense. I seem to recall that someone had a sort of mild taser gun or something like that. I am wondering where I could find such a thing legally, that would not seriously injure an attacking dog but would definitely stop it.

Two things happened this week. My bassets (Bo and Harley) and I were attacked on Thanksgiving day while out walking on leashes by a loose pitbull that had broken its chain. I managed to kick the dog off, but Bo still sustained a nasty bite to his rump. (Bo had hunkered down with his head down and tail between his legs so his rump provided the biggest target). Then, my neighbor's husky was almost killed by two malinois who had escaped their fence. They grabbed the husky's neck by reaching under my neighbor's fence and wouldn't let go, ripping considerable muscle and blood vessels. The husky was in surgery for two hours and will survive, thank heavens. I heard that incident and raced outside yelling, which scared off the malinois for some reason, which was what saved the husky. I only mention the attacking breeds to give everyone an idea of relative sizes of everyone involved--I have nothing against either attacking breed, although I have lots against
 these particular dogs, who are usually chained or fenced in the neighborhood. Attacks like these are rare, as the dogs in question are generally confined, but as happened this week, it is possible for them to happen again, and I feel like I'd feel better armed with something more ominous than an umbrella and my most intimidating, authoritarian, Cesar Millan voice. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Val, Bo (ouch), Harley (I ran like the wind out of jaw reach instead of hunkering down like Bo, and Nugget (I won't stick my head near the bottom of that fence again anytime soon)