[Dailydrool] Miss Maggie 9/1/97-12/4/08

Esther Strom esthermstrom at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 4 23:30:37 PST 2008

Synthia,

I'm so sorry to hear about Maggie... she always reminded me of the St. I grew up with. I'm sure she's up at the Bridge with Waldo and all the other hounds who were "special needs" in life.

Take care,

Esther Strom and Waldo (ATB 07/18/2008)----- Original Message ----

Saintly Miss Maggie went to the Rainbow Bridge this afternoon. I got home from work and she looked like she had fallen in the kitchen but got up with some help and went out. When she came in she collapsed, so I grabbed the sling I keep for emergencies, loaded her up and drove straight the vet. By the time I got there, she couldn't stand and was panting heavily. Her gums and tongue were white, so she was bleeding somewhere. We didn't spend time deciphering what/where. We just wished her well and sent her to the Bridge.

I know she would have loved to see snow again, but she got a full winter and summer here that we never expected. She was here 13 months, and I thought we'd be lucky if she survived one month when I first saw her. The pet sitter was here two hours before I got home, so I know she had just gone down when I got here.

Maggie went quickly and on her own terms. She was that kind of girl. No more special food or struggling to get her to eat. And I can get rid of the giant bed in middle of the kitchen, though the others like it too....I guess I'll donate those cases of Alpo and Pedigree to the shelter.

Maggs, run free at the Bridge! Enjoy your strong and healthy body and I'll see you again one day.  Have fun with Hannah (my other lady St. Bernard) and sweet little Doheny, and tell them I love them.

Synthia
Bud, Barney, Kahuna, Zuma, Doheny ATB, and 9 days until Pearl!
Ace the Newf
St. Bernard Baja, Saintly Miss Maggie & Hannah ATB
Maya the Great Dane