[Dailydrool] WABR Quilt

rescue at wabr.net rescue at wabr.net
Sun Dec 7 09:30:39 PST 2008

Thank you, yes the quilt is beautiful.  As many of you know, via Helena
Poist, WABR took "17" Puppy Mill Breeders from an auction in MO.  These
sweet bassets had probably never experienced grass, and had never been able
to run free on 3/4 of an acre of the green stuff, never had  abundant good
food, never been in a house - with "real" beds, or had kind hands touching
them.

Martha Knoll wanting to help, so designed and with loving hands assembled
this awesome quilt in honor of the bassets saved and our "17".  Since they
all the girls required spays, dental, 5 with mastitis (one with a mastitis
so huge I put a snood around her tummy to keep it from dragging on the
ground, until her went to my wonderful vet), 5 other mastitis, 6 hernias,
cysts, etc.  The sweet stud Buddy Blue was neutered and had a dental.  There
were 100s of breeders in the auction, of all different breeds.   So if you
look at the quilt, it honors all the Puppy Mill Breeder, that spend their
lives producing puppy for pet stores.

Peppermint Patty an eight year old, was the ambassador of our "17".  She
went to every volunteer, visitor with this look on her face that we all
laughed and called her "Thank You" look.  Pepper went to the vet - Dr. Brown
started with a dental, she had a stick jammed from upper jaw all the way
into her nasal cavity.  Because of the extensive surgery on her mouth, Doc
wanted to wait 2 weeks to do her spay.  When he did her spay, he discovered
she was PG - because of her age and health she was spayed.  This little
darling is a true survivor.  The Scalici family's basset Charlie had
recently passed, and they came for one of the younger breeders.  This loving
family came, loved on everyone, went home to sleep on it.  And called me the
next day with their decision, - Peppermint Patty.

This fabulous quilt is really dedication to Puppy Mill Breeders, and is
super special.

You can view the Quilt http://www.wabr.net/raffle08/index.htm

Thank you, Pat

Washington Basset Rescue