[Dailydrool] Odd behaviour

Richard Schmeltz richard_schmeltz at sbcglobal.net
Mon Dec 8 10:33:53 PST 2008

Could be Rolph was responding to something other than the sight of the woman. Given the sensitive sniffers most of our houndies are blessed with, it could be that the woman was wearing a perfume or otherwise bore a scent (cooking aroma, medication, etc.) which triggered a happy memory. Rolph likely would have noticed such a scent at a level imperceptible to a human sniffer!

--RichS
Husband to Patty, poppa to Bullet, Jester, and 7 dear-departed OTB
...Then a woman aged about 50 and with nothing particularly odd or different about her came round the corner.

Rolph behaved like he had just seen his oldest and best friend in the world. His tail went up, he did the happy dance and he wriggled towards this woman. She either ignored or didn't see us and crossed to the other pavement. Rolph tried to go after her. I then almost had to drag him home, he kept on trying to go back and see this woman.

It was the strangest thing. I can't believe she was a volunteer at his old rescue and most 'dog' people aknowledge any dog in the street, plus Rolph is very distinctive. Surely if she was a former owner she would have least have looked at a dog who looked like one she'd had?

I can't work it out, but Rolph was certain she was a good friend of his...