[Dailydrool] Our fosters

Jessica Sutton Jessica at fmprofessionals.com
Tue Dec 9 08:56:01 PST 2008

Happy Holidays droolers!  I have to say I am so glad I signed up for the
card exchange. They are so special, each and every one of them.  I will
cherish them forever (or until a dog gets into them and shreds them to
bits, whichever comes first).  Now on to the news...we got our first
ever fosters this weekend!!  I received a call from Helping Hands about
two boys, brothers, who were given up because they "chew too much".  (I
know, I know...some people!)  They were in a kill shelter and had two
days left when they were pulled by HHBR.  Well, we were hesitant at
first, taking both of them on at once our first time fostering, and I
almost said no.  But I thought about it for all of 5 minutes and it
occurred to me "what if I say no, and so does everyone else?  Do these
boys sit in a kennel rather than get the loving home they deserve
because it is too inconvenient for me?"  So I put on my big girl pants
and never looked back.  These little guys are about a year old, and
they're mixed basset and german shepherd, I think, but they are the
sweetest little cuddle bugs you could ever meet.  One of them, they call
him Dave now, has crystal blue eyes that are striking to look at, and
the other one, Axel, craves petting and belly rubs and will lift your
hand with his nose if you stop petting him.  Ooh, and on a side note,
they have been with me since Saturday, and haven't chewed one thing in
my house.  I have rawhides throughout the house as far as the eye can
see, and whenever they have the urge to chew, they go for those.  I am
so glad that I finally made the decision to start fostering.  Every time
I look into those beautiful, trusting, precious eyes and see how much it
means to them to be loved and taken care of and how thankful they are
just to have a warm place to sleep, I feel so wonderful inside.  It's
payment beyond what money could buy.  I know I can't save them all, none
of us can, but I take comfort in knowing that to these little guys,
these moments that would otherwise have been lived out in a kennel or
never lived out at all, mean everything.  If you're on the fence about
becoming a foster like I was, I encourage you to give it a try.  I wish
I would have sooner.

Jessica L. Sutton

Momma to Diva & Sophie and fosters Dave & Axel and fat cat Choncey
Beaureguard (who doesn't find any of this very amuzing at all!)