[Dailydrool] dog bites and fear

Beverly Szaton bgszap at gmail.com
Wed Dec 10 17:56:21 PST 2008

My experience has been, unfortunately, that puppies that are attacked often
carry the memory forever. I cannot recall what the fear periods are, but
there are a lot of them. Besides which, it would be a pretty dumb dog that
would not respond in some way to being attacked. The other option, which I
have also seen, is that the pup learns to attack FIRST. This is a very
serious problem and very difficult to deal with, because you end up with a
dog aggressive dog.
Mitchell, at one yr, was attacked by a Cattle Dog as he walked past the CD
into the training area. He never forgot it and never forgave, forever after
being afraid to enter a ring (altho we did it anyway) and especially being
terrified of Cattledogs, or anything that looked like it might be one.
Only after he was 7 or 8 yrs old did he take it upon himself to (quite
unexpectedly) attack a Cattle dog that happened to be standing near by.
Nobody got hurt because no contact was made ( I am very alert, despite what
I sound like) and Mitchell seemed to feel he had proved his point.
Nevertheless, I will never trust him around Cattle Dogs...Otherwise he is
the kindest dog I know.

MomPerson to Mitchell the Cattle Dog "Killer", Nigel, Llewis and Cooper