[Dailydrool] Need advice on crate training

Nadine Mysker nadine at mysker.com
Thu Dec 11 08:30:07 PST 2008

Jill the Bagel has suddenly become destructive (ever since a family
member's dog came to visit for 3 days).  Jill is usually left in the
heated laundry room with food, water, toys, blanket, etc. when we are
away from home because she can open cabinets and the fridge, loves to
counter cruise and has tossed the computer mouse and cell phones
around.  We left her alone for 3 hours last week and she destroyed a
2' section of door molding.  We immediately repaired it and coated it
with hot sauce.  The next day we left her for 2 hours and she tried to
eat through the door.  I purchased a medium cage and began to use it
Saturday for short periods of time when I was home and in the room and
she seemed happy in it.  If she whined I would reassure her verbally
and let her out 2 minutes later.  I gradually extended the time to 1/2
hour and all seemed well.  On Tuesday I left her home for 1 and 1/2
hours in the cage.  When I got back she had slipped the try out
through the bottom and bent the door and adjacent wall.  Last night I
tried again.  My son came home while she was in the cage and ignored
her.  When I got home (after a 3 hour absence) her paw was stuck in
the door.  (Yes, I want to kill the kid!) Amazingly, she went right in
it this morning for water and a treat and then came out to nap on the
couch.  Any suggestions for making this easier.  Jill has actually
adjusted pretty well to the cage considering it had been used as
punishment by a previous owner 2 years ago.
Nadine Mysker