[Dailydrool] Young Charlie turns 3

Elizabeth Lindsey erlindsey at comcast.net
Thu Dec 11 10:09:31 PST 2008

Today is young Charlie's third birthday. We've had him a little over
two years now, which is twice as long as his first family had him.
They gave him up to Bluegrass Basset Rescue when he was eleven months
old because he was too wild and destructive. They had wanted a
"docile" (their words) dog. So if they wanted a docile dog, what were
they doing getting a buppy? In my experience, the only docile buppy
is a sick buppy.

But their mistake was our gain. We fostered Charlie and quickly
failed at it. There were plenty of days during his first year with us
when the only thing that saved him from being killed outright was how
adorable he looked when he curled up on my lap and went to sleep (the
day he chewed a corner of my harp remains a black, black day in this
house). But once he neared his second birthday, he began to calm
down. I wouldn't call him a docile dog, but at least he now takes
naps during the day and isn't busy busy busy all the time looking for
trouble to get into. Buppies do eventually grow up and settle a
little, even the wild ones like Charlie.

Charlie gives us tremendous joy, despite his continued propensity to
do at least one naughty thing a day. This isn't a matter of still
waiting for the big boy brains to arrive. He's had his big boy brains
for ages. Charlie's a very smart boy and knows exactly what he's
doing when he chooses to hop up on our bed to see what clothing Ken's
left up there to drag through the house. He isn't being dumb when he
gets up on the coffee table to look for magazines to tear up. He's
simply being irrepressible. And while I holler at him, I secretly
relish his irrepressibility and the happy twinkle in his eyes when he
has something in his mouth he wants to use to play keep-away from me
with. He has a joie de vivre that adds tremendously to our lives.

Yesterday as he was shaking Ken's fleece hat to death in the dining
room, I informed him that he was enjoying his very last day of being
a Terrible Two. In 24 hours, no more excuses for being naughty; he
would be expected to act like an adult. He thought that was the
silliest thing he'd ever heard, and he danced away from me with the
hat still in his mouth and a smirk on his face. Today, his first day
of being three, he's behaved with admirable maturity and restraint.
But the day's only half over, so there's still plenty of time for him
to find some trouble. Because it's raining, we won't be able to take
any walks or go to the dog park as a special birthday activity, but
after supper we'll put three Milk Bones on a dog-friendly cake I
baked last night and sing to him and wish him many more birthdays to
come.

Elizabeth