[Dailydrool] living in a normal house with more than one hound

Donna Mitchell dmitchell1065 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 13 11:28:33 PST 2008

Hi to the Dadperson wondering what it is like to live in a "normal" house
(not a farm) with more than one basset.

This is our life!  We have had two since this past summer.  Before that,
just one.  In my humble opinion, if you can believe it or not, two is better
than one in more ways than not.  It really takes no more time to feed 2 dogs
than it does to feed one.  It takes no more time to vaccume the floor after
two, clean up muddy paw prints, slobber, drool etc.  The return is far more
than the time investment.  Our girls often go do thier dog things together
in the house, weather it is napping, playing, chasing a cat (or two or
three) so they occupy each other quite nicely.  Oh the joy of watching the
evening shows of wrestling, alligator mouthing, tug of war, etc.  That is
just doubled.  They have never been sick at the same time (yet) so no
problems there.

We live in 950 sq ft of a house with two bassets, 3 cats on an acre of
land.  We find this is plenty of space.  Since someone in the extended
family has allergies, we are never the host to holidays or any celebrations,
so that is nice.

Drawbacks have not been for me, but they are if someone does come to our
house, they have to understand that WE LIVE HERE, not them.  Having one dog
isn't many people's cup of tea, but two certainly could make you certifiable
in many family members heads.

I think what keeps this easy is routine, routine, routine and establishing
just who is the boss.  I have no problems with this.  It is my husband who
has the troubles if he wants a nap in the middle of  the day.  When the dogs
think they should be doing something else.  Like I said, no problem for me!
DH has to have 2 dogs in the recliner with him in order to have a nap.  But
he doens't think that is a problem.  Me on the other hand . . . .

Anyways, I think it is definatley worth the effort.  Another drawback DH and
I talked about the other night is what if something happened to us.  Our
girls are bonded and could make it difficult for adoption.  Perhaps I am
rambling at this point.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide to do.
Donna,
Slave to Daisy and Lilly