[Dailydrool] Nigel an Cooper

Ruth Mayberry ram.berry at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 15 07:16:54 PST 2008

Dear MomPerson,

This be a warning:
hamsters STINK! They make giant messes
and you never know when they might bite you!

Nig...uh no, I mean huckleberry

  Because MomPerson (who is writing dis--THIS) has old, flat feet she buys really expensive padded socks to keep the feets from falling off when she stands on them all day at work, on the cement floor. Very expensive socks (for her)
  She guards them with her life you know where this is going, don't you, all you smug Basset people out there?

  SOooo. Last night it rained and the wind was fierce.Then it sleeted and the wind was fierce. Then it snowed just a touch, enough to make it super bad and leave 1/2 of ice beneath the snow.. (Oh yes, I know what you're thinking..."my dogs would NEVER...")
  At 4:30 there was a general stirring in the ranks.I had gone to bed very early, blown away by the sheer volume of food and drink over the weekend, and the fun of seeing all my kids again (two leggers).(All 2 of them,and their spouses.) So everyone wanted out. My first hint was that the back door was frozen shut. This is never good with four dogs leaping at you because they have to pee right now. Cooper charged out first with something in his mouth followed by Nigel with a suspicious bulge in his lips... MY SOCKS!  MY $15 A PAIR SOCKS!!! ONE PAIR OF THREE THAT ARE LEFT! NOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

  I stick my head out the door and say sweetly, "Cooper, come here dear.Get a treat" HA! Dodge bounce dodgebounce run. It is cold, he feels great, let's play. Nigel takes one look and he is off also. In my jammies i put on my muck boots, grab the super flashlight and head out. It is COLD!  No no, says Cooper: "Bracing. It's bracing. It's SHOWTIME!!" Nigel thought this was wonderful. So the two of them are galloping around the yard with my socks, I have on jammies and boots and a flashight and with the wind is it -22 altho, luckily, I am unaware of that as I give up and go to the door. Hahahahahahahahahaha. It is frozen shut. It is now  4:45 in the morning, black as pitch except for the flashlight and the door light and I am standing in my little jammies outside with four expectant dogs behind me, thinking "Breakfast" and perhaps by now "Cold".(What I am thinking is not printable.)
  I push, shove, kick and finally take my fist (the flashlight cost megabucks, no way am I using that) and smash the door handle until it opens. Everyone charges past me, nearly knocking me down, causing me to let go of the door which slams and instantly freezes shut. Luckily, not as securely, and besides, Nigel is now on the inside leaping on the door trying to get me to give him a treat, so the door opens.

  After I defrost a bit I send the Big Dog out again to get my socks, which he obligingly does. He gets a handful of treats, the others get nothing.I don't care how envious they are.
  I really am. Really. Next time around, I am raising hamsters.

  Really.
  MomPerson to Llewis, Mitchell and Bad Boys Nigel and Cooper
  Those of you in this weather, keep warm! Get those little doggie coats and boots out.