[Dailydrool] Shelley and Doc

decadog at comcast.net decadog at comcast.net
Tue Dec 16 17:07:48 PST 2008

Shelley--did any of the other anxiety producing events (fireworks, storms, car backfiring, etc.) happen at the same time he could hear the cats playing? If so, he could now be associating cat play with another anxiety trigger. It happened with a dog I had years ago. First she was afraid of thunder/lightening. Lightening striking very close--the ozone-- would sometimes set off our smoke alarm. So then she was afraid when the smoke alarm went off without the storm (my cooking--no comment). Then the stove timer buzzer, although not as loud, sounded like the smoke alarm. She became so afraid of the timer going off, I had to stop using it. A real domino effect. It took me awhile to figure it all out. And she did all this after she reached senior status. Maybe the auditory signals to the brain get fuzzier with age. Did the cats get new toys in the last few weeks? Maybe it's a certain toy that makes a sound he associates with being anxious. I hope you and Doc find the solution and get some shut-eye!