[Dailydrool] Bassets and Paxil

Menzie Campbell menziecampbell at gmail.com
Wed Dec 17 15:20:39 PST 2008

OMG, Bev, your reply to the girl whose bassets has learned
counter-crusiing cracked me up!  Seriously, I have (and take) both
Paxil AND valium!  And come to think of it, I didn't take either until
after we got our first basset!!!  LOL - surely it's just a
coincidence....

My advice to Tobi was going to echo Bev's.  Bassets are scent hounds.
They use their nose for everything, in many ways to a geater extent
than they use their sight or hearing.  Their entire reason for
existence is to find yummy-smelling things.  And then eat them.  We
also have learned to push any food items WAY back to the back of the
cabinets.  We also have NO food in any lower kitchen cabinets.  All
food items are kept in the higher cabinets.

So a baby gate for the kitchen is actually a great idea; it will also
keep them from "accidentally" tripping you, in the hopes that you will
drop something!  Another suggestion would be to fit babyproof latches
on the cabinet doors.  You can buy this little latches that go inside
the cabinet door, so it will only open an inch or so unless you
release the latch. They're cheap, and easy to install - much cheaper
than a vet bill to pump a dog's stomach!

--
Menzie Campbell
Save a Life - Don't Shop, ADOPT!