[Dailydrool] Basset noses and baby gates

JACQIE MARVICH oakrydgebh7 at msn.com
Wed Dec 17 19:32:10 PST 2008

The basset's nose is second only to that of the bloodhound. Their entire existence is governed by that nose. If they can smell it and find a way to reach it, they will get it and usually eat it. I agree the slave is in error when things are left in the bassets reach. Every basset on earth would easily earn their Counter Cruising Excellence certification if there were such a thing.

Butter is a favorite here. For some reason it gets left out in reach most often. Enter DH who rarely puts things back where they belong.
Toffee especially adores butter. The REAL thing not any substitute. I swear she can down an entire stick of butter, leaving the wrapper neatly on the floor in 5 seconds flat.

Baby gates, although helpful are only as good as the drive the basset has to get threw them. I used to have a baby gate at the opening to a hallway then one of them figured out how to push until the bottom gave way giving them their own swinging door.
Now we have metal gates that are in a frome that have a latch for human use and so far, no one has been able to push them out of the doorways. They do cost more than baby gates but are considerably more secure.

Jacqie Marvich
Oakrydge Bassets