[Dailydrool] adventures at the rabbit show

BRYAN MARTINEZ brymart at sbcglobal.net
Wed Dec 17 19:56:26 PST 2008

I just wanted to share a basset story involving my beloved Susie
(since gone to the bridge in '03).
On one of our daily walks, we were passing through the local county
fairgrounds, abandoned most of the year.
I should point out that when we crossed the scent of a rabbit at
anytime , she would go into her 'bloodhound mode' and
shift into high gear with howls accompanying the "short pinging' ---
sniffing in search for her prey. I liked to compare it to  those old
ww1 submarine movies where the destroyer is sweeping the seas looking
for submarines in a broad, slow sweep. But when a submarine is
detected the sonar in the destroyer starts in rapid 'pinging' trying
to pinpoint the sub's location.
ANYway , she would go into her crazed rapid sniffing and howling
intermittently whenever a bunny's scent was detected.
So, on this day as we passed a large  barn-like building on the
fairgrounds, which had large double doors open at both ends, I noticed
a lot of cars parked off to the side. But before I saw the sign
proclaiming an annual rabbit show here , Susie , overwhelmed with the
scent of rabbits nearby broke away from me and with her leash trailing
behind her, she bounded into the rabbit show her howling echoing to
the rafters! Imagine the startled exhibitors and visitors as this
howling basset ran down the middle of the barn completely immersed in
the intoxicating scent of HUNDREDS of rabbits! She didn't stop or slow
down , she just ran at top basset-speed down the main aisle in the
middle, in one door and out the other, doing her best "bloodhound
after the escaped prisoner" imitation . I ran behind her. saying to
everybody I saw "sorry! " "sorry!"  "sorry!" But everybody was amused.
I caught up to her at the far door where she was waiting on me , tail
wagging, completely pleased with herself.