[Dailydrool] some toys are just meant to be annoying

Heidi I Sarver sarvermb at UDel.Edu
Thu Dec 25 07:29:12 PST 2008

Happy Hanukkah, Merry Christmas, Happy Kwanzaa...oh heck, happy
holidays to everyone regardless of belief!

Every year the pups get Hanukkah gifts from my friends in
Massachusetts.  This is always so sweet and fun.  I let them "help"
open the box--left in a non-reusable state afterwards, and then I
reach inside and divvie up the goods.

Usually the gifts are the typical stuffed squeaky toys that Della
punctures within 10 minutes and then manages to de-stuff over the
course of the day.  But this time there was an extra-special squeaky
toy.  It is (notice not past-tense as it's still going strong) a
stuffed dreidel that doesn't squeak---it plays the first 2 lines of
"Dreidel, Dreidel, Dreidel."  That's it...just the first 2 lines:
"Dreidel, dreidel, dreidel; I made it out of clay; and when it's
dried and ready, then dreidel I shall play."  Of all dogs, Buford has
decided that THIS is his toy and that it will NOT be destroyed.  So
here's this 9 year, 11 month, 20 day old basset hound huddling over
this blue stuffed toy who has quickly learned EXACTLY how to activate
the voice box inside!  He bites, it sings, he lays there wagging his
tail until the 2 lines of song are over and then he bites it
again...it sings again, he wags, and then he bites again.

For the first 3 minutes it was hysterical.....after the hour I wanted
to go screaming into the night!  But don't try to take it away from
him--that low guttural growl that starts deep within the soul of
every basset hound begins like a distant thunder and if you do not
step away from the toy you are going to lose a finger or two.

Drool to all in need, snooters to everyone!

--heidi (STOP IT!!!!  I CAN'T STAND IT ANY LONGER!!!)
--buford (this is the coolest thing since peanut butter on a spoon)
--della (peanut butter on a spoon?!  WHERE????)
--guinness (someone open the door so I can escape...PLEASE!!!!!)