[Dailydrool] Past scents

Jan Marchlewski jan3luski at sbcglobal.net
Fri Dec 26 12:37:03 PST 2008

My sister adopted a little pup named Willow from Bluegrass Basset Rescue in September 2007.  Willow was fostered by Susan and her family.

A package arrived in the mail on Christmas Eve.  It contained my prize from Bluegrass' raffle.  Willow went crazy. I've received packages from fellow droolers but I never got this reaction from her.  She sniffed the box, barked, torn into the box.  Each item had to be thoroughly sniffed by Willow.  She kept looking in the box for more things.  Willow must have remembered the scents from Susan and her family.  The box contained a fleece blanket that Willow snuggles whenever she gets a chance.

I've wondered how a former foster can remember us - watching Willow's reaction I know realize they must retain that scent in their memory.  Perhaps it was the first time they felt safe and loved.

Jan
Lady, Grace & Lenny (I've got to see Marley & Me for more ideas!)