[Dailydrool] Solitary Bassets? (long mail, sorry)

rebecca stanton rebecca.stanton at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Dec 29 11:52:21 PST 2008

I think i have touched on this subject before, but I'm bringing it up again as Morse has shown - once more - his liking for being solitary, and I was wondering if anyone else's basset shows similar traits?  I am always hearing how bassets love being in a pack, and although he loves other dogs to play with, bringing them home seems to be a different matter.
Pumbaa was a different kind of basset, and had we had him longer (only just over 18 months) I think we may have had another rescue to go with him, probably a girl, not sure he would have tolerated another boy, he was a fairly alpha boy!  Morse is very different.  From the outset, we had heard that he liked his own company, and whereas his brothers and sisters would ofte play in a pack, apparently he liked his own company and would often do his own thing, like wandering around the paddock by himself.  He may have been bullied by his siblings - not sure - but he has always been a little timid of noises, strange objects etc, and also came to us with a torn ear, and would often hide behind the furniture as if frightened.  But maybe not,there could have just been some other explanation. Anyway, we have noticed that if we visit other people and their dogs in their house he gets agitated after a very short time, and will sit and cry at the front door to leave.
 He did this at a recent doggy party, where there were 2 labradors, 2 alsatians and 2 spaniel-type dogs in attendance!  He just wanted to go home!  When friends come over with their dogs - and in particular 2 of them he is very friendly with - he is not happy.  He will go outside if the dogs come inside, and sit down the garden, watching what is going on, and if they visit in the summer-time and we are in the garden, after a short period of time he will leave the garden and sit back in the lounge and stare at us through the window, with a look of complete disapproval.  My friend Helen has rescued dogs over the years and has 2 at the moment, the last of which was rescued from Greece.  We were walking with them last week when I took Homer's lead while Helen was fiddling around with Sunny's lead.  Morse just stood staring at me, holding Homer's lead, with Homer attached.  Helen and I both called him, but his tail just went right down. I gave the lead back
 to Helen, and (I kid you not) he wagged straightaway and ran over to me.  Helen said to me that in all her rescue experience she hasnt come across a dog who has bonded so closely with an owner.  Perhaps too closely, that is my fault I am sure, but even she thinks that to introduce another dog could be disastrous.  If we were to rescue, it would be when we move house, hopefully next year or the year after, but I have my serious doubts.  I obviously have to put the welfare of the dog I have already first.  What do you droolers think?