[Dailydrool] Toby

Bassetmomof2 at aol.com Bassetmomof2 at aol.com
Sun Jul 6 14:41:25 PDT 2008

When we got Freddie at 4 months he was a biter too.  Its part of what
they're supposed to learn what NOT to do when they stay with their Momma's until
about 12 weeks.  Sounds like your baby left his momma too soon like  ours.
Freddie was a petstore pup that was separated from his momma way to  early.  We
got him there before we knew any better.  Since then, we've  learned the horrid
facts and rescued our Ellie from MABHR.

Anyway, we took Freddie to doggy daycare at our vets office once a week to
show him that he wasn't a tough as he thought.  That really helped with the
biting.  We also got him into training that helped at bit for him to  understand
that we are the pack leaders and he is the sidekick.

As far as the grooming issues Freddie used to nip at me when I'd try to do
his nails.  So I started putting him sideways under my leg and I would have  my
husband slowly feed him tiny training treats as I cut the nails.  It  worked
and now he lets me do it.  I still give a couple tiny treats, but  heck its
worth it.  He still hates to have his ears cleaned and tries to  run away but at
least he doesn't bite.  Definitely try to replace his fears  with rewarding
him for being good.  Also we played with Freddies feet as  he'd be sleeping or
laying down with us relaxing.  It gets them used to you  handling their toes.

Best of luck.  These behaviors can be changed it just takes  time.
Helene, Freddie and Ellie