[Dailydrool] Blueberry

dpmcquade at juno.com dpmcquade at juno.com
Fri Jul 18 12:48:33 PDT 2008

Beth:
It is early days yet, since you have lost Blueberry. Of course you still hurt. Part of that pain will always cling lightly to you, for Blueberry was a special hound.

<<When he saw my friend's dog, his face lit up with joy, and he ran  over, arms open, shouting, "Blueberry!  You've come back!">>

I think it's wonderful that your young neighbor loved your hound so much. It's a blessing, though I'm sure his comment split your heart for a time. Think about this, though. Isn't it wonderful that this boy loved her that much? In years to come, he may say to himself, "I remember Blueberry. She was a great dog. I think I'll get a basset for myself--how about rescuing one?"

Don't think it can't happen. I have warm memories of the basset who lived next door when I was a child. Rocky (we called him Rocky Roo, for obvious reasons) was a great introduction to bassets. When my basset-loving dad said he wanted a dog, what else would we get?

Blueberry impacted your heart, but she impacted the world, too.
Pam, with Drew, food slave to the Dashing Bassets, one of whom howls from the Bridge