[Dailydrool] glands

LaRock Hounds twobassetsonedoxie at gmail.com
Sun Jul 20 09:17:09 PDT 2008

First off, I want to thank those of you whom emailed me about Mazzie's
fusion in her spine.  Unfortunately, I have not heard from anyone that has
had a basset fused from L1 and down (at least) and the prognosis.  She will
be 5 in August. Yesterday was a good day because she only vomitted a little
and peed on the dog bedding once, but it was also a day where I am home and
could take her outside more often.  The doc claims she is not in pain, but
she snapped at my 9 year old two nights ago when he petted her.  My children
know how to properly care for a dog and what to do and not to do so it is
not like my son was "deserving" to be snapped at.  I have noticed more that
Mazzie does not walk with the sway back and forth like Maggie does.
Mazzie's back end doesn't move side to side when she walks.  I have noticed
the difference in going in and out the door, etc and this is with Maggie
being almost 4 full years older then Mazzie.

Anyhow, about anal glands.  Bassets and (I think) bulldogs are breeds that
need help from what I have heard. Now, I am not a vet nor knowledgeable on
anal gland issues so don't take my word for it only.  At our house, Maggie (
8 3/4 years old) needs to have her glands expressed.  The Dad Slave does it,
but he is overseas so I had the vet do it last month.   Mazzie does not need
her glands done and if I watch very closely when she has a bm, I can see the
liquid come out also.  Oliver, mini dachshund, will express his glands if he
is afraid.  He expressed his glands at the vets which is only enough liquid
to be about the size of a quarter.  He has also expressed his glands in the
car all over the Dad Slave's hand and on my pants. My arm had fallen asleep
so I had the Dad slave hold Oliver' back half while I moved my hand out from
under him (the Dad Slave was driving at the time) and then he says something
is on your pants.  I said ewe it is on your fingers. I couldn't stop gagging
and laughing.  I have tried to express Maggie's glands before, but I can't
get it done.  It may be time to get her in as someone did the "butt scoot"
on the carpet the other day.  It makes me wish I didn't have carpet in the
house.  I would rather like hardwood instead.

DRool to all in need,
Dee, Maggie, Mazzie and Oliver