[Dailydrool] Vet Visit

Kahuna and Friends surferdogs at comcast.net
Tue Jul 1 07:58:03 PDT 2008

Just got home from the vet. Bud had his annual visit and shots today and
Maya the Great Dane was dropped off for her spay.

The vet thought Bud looked great in spite of the hypothyroid (levels were
good in Dec so he didn't feel he needed to recheck) and his stroke last year
 He also commented on how great his teeth are looking. He's been with me
almost 4 years and I haven't done a dental on him. The vet said it's
genetics and can go the other way too. Said he sees his share of 30 year old
dogs from owners who say the shelter said the dog was 12 years old (by teeth
..) and that was about 15 years ago....Said going by that, Bud is only 4-5
years old. Way to go Bud!

He also talked me out of doing the gastropexy (stomach tack) on Maya along
with her spay. We had a long discussion, and having had a St Bernard whose
stomach torsed, I was pretty convinced I wanted to do it. But, taking a 15
minute spay into a much longer procedure with 3-4x the incision, add in the
risk of complications from adhesions or other potential risks, we opted not
to do it. He said if we did it on males and females routinely, then that's
one thing. If the only reason to do it is because "she's under anesthesia
anyway"...well, he didn't think that was good enough. And after discussion,
I agreed. He did promise to let me know if they start doing it
laparoscopically (which he thought was a great idea, by the way, but not
aware that it's being done).

So, Maya the Dane could use a little "heal quickly" drool, and I could use a
little "keep the Great Dane puppy calm and quite" drool, or some sort of
miracle. Saying that Maya is "bouncy" is an understatement. And 105 lbs of
bounce has lots of rebound!

Synthia, driving Mr. Bud...and all the rest

The man who regards his own life and that of his fellow creatures as meaningless is not merely unfortunate but almost disqualified for life. ~Albert Einstein