[Dailydrool] Dailydrool Digest, Vol 13, Issue 8

Alan Folsom alan at folsoms.net
Tue Jul 1 10:48:02 PDT 2008

> Does
> anyone else have a basset that very rarely or never does the AROOOOO??
> Is that normal?  Ah, well, it's normal for them!

When we got Ginger I was looking forward to the baying - my beagle does it
readily enough, and I thought it would be fun to have her tenor with his
alto.

Up until two days ago I never heard her bay, and not for lack of trying.  I,
my two sons, and Alfie the beagle would howl, and she would just look at us
like we were nuts (who says bassets aren't smart?).

Two days ago I was out in the front yard with Ginger loose, so she could
have a quick potty break, which is usually not a problem.  Then it happened.
There is an elderly woman in our neighborhood, nearly bent over, who walks
down the street sometimes.  There Ginger was, following slowly about 10
steps behind, with the first howl I ever heard her make.  That was
embarrassing.

 -Al F.